Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Spring Break Finish


Years ago I had tried to get my daughter started sewing. She had seen a boy get his finger or hand caught in a factory's sewing machine on the Samantha movie so she had no interest in sewing with me. I was a little annoyed because my house is full of fabric and that is just about all I know how to do anything with. I am not that creative. I can't do anything with paint. I am all thumbs with a hot glue gun...etc. So I didn't push it and I was happy that she did a few cross-stitch projects last year.
This spring break we are kind of grounded at home. I asked the girls if they would like to do any sewing. I was shocked when said daughter M suggested making some pillowcases! We cut them out this afternoon and she did the sewing...on my machine. It was an enjoyable afternoon. She did a great job!
I should mention that at the end of last year I read the book Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine. This was the second time I had read the book. Even though there is a great chasm between what Judith and I hold near and dear to our hearts, I enjoyed her documenting her year long experience/struggles with this topic. I thought I would try to put it into play in my life this year. In early January I stumbled a little but got back on track. I know that this is not a good plan to help our economy but it is a good plan for my family and myself. On the other hand though, is consumer debt good for the economy? It is not good for families. I am not apologizing for what I am trying to do. It is absolutely essential with all of the medical bills, job uncertainty for my husband, etc. My point with all of this is that as far as my crafting is concerned, I am trying to just use what I have for this year. No new purchases except maybe just to buy what I would need to finish something, but I still am not certain about that. So today's pillow cases were made from only what I had on hand and they are cute and the girls love them.
I am also trying to go with Dave Ramsey's list of goals. We have no household consumer debt. (AWESOME!!!!) We have $1,000 for emergencies. I am trying to save 6 months worth of income in case it were to be needed. After that I would try to start chipping away at our mortgage. God is so good to us. He has provided us with all that we need. Thank you Lord!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment